IRIX Network Forums
Indy Presenter 1280 - Printable Version

+- IRIX Network Forums (//forums.irix.cc)
+-- Forum: SGI/MIPS (//forums.irix.cc/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: SGI Discussion (//forums.irix.cc/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Indy Presenter 1280 (/thread-532.html)

Indy Presenter 1280 - bjames - 10-08-2018

Even the SGI presenter manual does not indicate this, but anyone know what the actual viewable screen size is?  The manual says the unit is 13.2” wide, then after subtraction about an inch on either side would equal a screen size width of approx 10.5 - 11” which would be similar to a 14” screen.

I have been contemplating what would be a better monitor for the Indy keeping in the spirit of a ‘90s size at the time.  I was also thinking of a 18” 5:4 Sony LED in silver.

RE: Indy Presenter 1280 - jan-jaap - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 01:00 AM)bjames Wrote: Even the SGI presenter manual does not indicate this, but anyone know what the actual viewable screen size is?  The manual says the unit is 13.2” wide, then after subtraction about an inch on either side would equal a screen size width of approx 10.5 - 11” which would be similar to a 14” screen.

I have been contemplating what would be a better monitor for the Indy keeping in the spirit of a ‘90s size at the time.  I was also thinking of a 18” 5:4 Sony LED in silver.

While contemporary PCs usually had 14" or 17" CRT screens, most Indys shipped with a 21" granite GDM-20D11 monitor. 17" was the 'budget' option. IMHO the 'definitive' Indy look is that little blue pizza box hiding under that big granite fish tank.

[attachment=466]

RE: Indy Presenter 1280 - bjames - 10-08-2018

I can’t agree more. I have tried looking for a granit gdm17 or gdm20d11 but absolutely nobody has one to sell. I think they are all buried under a landfill now.

Kind of why I was thinking of the presenter 1260 as it carries the look of the granit monitor, but I looking at the specs, 100cdm brightness and something like 200:1 contrast ratio and what seems like a 13 or 14” screen makes me wonder if I would be more disappointed wth the size/image quality than enjoying it.

RE: Indy Presenter 1280 - bjornl - 10-12-2018

I think I have spare gdm17 and/or gdm20 that I don't use. I don't know your location, but if it's not in Europé shipping will not be cheap.
Even so, it is very difficult to package safely. I have gotten all of my CRTs by local pickup.

RE: Indy Presenter 1280 - uunix - 10-13-2018

I also have a GDM20 with remote, free if you collect it. I'm West Midlands area England.

RE: Indy Presenter 1280 - bjames - 10-14-2018

Very tempting if I had a plane to hop on. I’m in Canada, so shipping could be costly. I have had good luck receiving large CRTs by fed ex and ups, but they were in the factory packing. The only CRT I purchased that was not in the original box was from an Authorized SGI dealer about 300 miles from me (just before they closed). I purchased a recertified Indigo2 with a GDM20D11 monitor. The monitor was packed in an old blanket, possibly the blanket the sales guy used to sleep in his car. It was the worst packing job I have seen. Luckily there was no damage, probably because of the short trip.