IRIX Network Forums
NEC PC-9801CS - Printable Version

+- IRIX Network Forums (//forums.irix.cc)
+-- Forum: Other Platforms (//forums.irix.cc/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: NEC PC-98 (//forums.irix.cc/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: NEC PC-9801CS (/thread-359.html)

NEC PC-9801CS - Pentium - 08-31-2018

This machine was purchased from our friends at The Hackery less than a month ago but was on my radar for the last year.
The exact model is the PC-9801CS5. It is an all-in-one machine. I can verify the system boots as the logic tray was put into a second CS and tested but this machine has power supply issues and will not yet turn on by itself yet.
All I knew when I first saw it was the power issue and that it had no keyboard or mouse. I returned from Japan earlier this month and brought back a suitable keyboard and supposedly a regular Microsoft InPort mouse can be adapted to work however the pinout for the adapter eludes me at the moment.
I have now pulled the machine apart and verified the specs here match the hardware inside the system, plus a 4mb ram card is installed. I was not aware of the onboard audio at the time but while I was in Japan I had purchased a Sound Orchestra board as well as an IFC-NN SCSI2 board and a 4mb EMS cBus board in case it was needed.

My question is that Raion's stickied post indicates the 9801's were 16-bit however this machine has a 32-bit 386SX. Is still a 32-bit machine in that regard? Additionally are power supply issues known with these machines?

RE: NEC PC-9801CS - Raion - 08-31-2018

Some 9801s are 32-bit, I have one called the 9801BX.

I'm afraid I can't say whether these do have common PSU issues.

RE: NEC PC-9801CS - Pentium - 08-31-2018

One thing I can however say after pulling it apart is that the audio section uses miniature through-hole radials for capacitors and there's a whack of surface mount types around the DC jack. They are all leaking quite badly.

RE: NEC PC-9801CS - micrex22 - 09-01-2018

(08-31-2018, 01:58 PM)Pentium Wrote:  One thing I can however say after pulling it apart is that the audio section uses miniature through-hole radials for capacitors and there's a whack of surface mount types around the DC jack. They are all leaking quite badly.

I'd just recap the whole thing honestly. That's what I did with all of my Personal System/2s. Once it's done then they can continue running for another 30 years, lol.